Category experiments

bowl experiment

Bowl is an attempt to modify a simple planar mesh into a more complex shape using a simple transformations. The original concept was to create a generative artichoke. The only way to do that was to first create an artichoke petal. I like the results of this so i branched off the original idea to create this shape. One of the more interesting bits of this project was the inclusion of a 3d click and drag system that allowed you to transform the shape at will. I tried to create a semi unified language, rectangles are only dragable along a single axis and circles can be dragged along 2.

To create this, I used a bunch of classes that other people created, specifically pv3dminimalcomps, and the caurina tweener.

Download source.

duo experiment

Duo is a new experiment and hopefully a new direction to my ongoing work. The inspiration for this work started off with the motions of a caterpillar but as the code evolved and the values have changed, it started to take on a new form. It was only until I added a second shape that the idea started to get more solidified. It’s named duo because the shapes are meant to be seen as a pair. They both have similar characteristics and their motions complement each other.

Technically, it’s a simple 3d primitive built in papervision whose vertices are all generated with equations.

One important thing I’d like to add is that without the opensource libraries provided by a few amazing people, this work would have never seen the light of day. So thank you pv3d for providing rich Papervision examples, thanks bit-101 for creating minimalcomps which is a way better alternative than the available standard flash components, and thanks to those that created tweener libraries for writing code I’m waay too lazy to write myself.

Download source.

shifter experiment

Shifter was an experiment that I had made a few years ago, around the time when flash 8 launched but I never got around to finishing it until recently. It’s basically a redo of the plotter code converted to AS3. You can view it here. I’m a big fan of clicking the maximize button and setting the mode to auto draw instead of cursor drawn.

Download source.

Arc Experiment

My initial experiment for the Adobe Design Center was not the feather piece, but a simple class that drew arcs dynamically in flash. I scrapped the project in favor of learning After Effects Expressions. After a few years in the back burner, I decided to finish what I started and created this experiment called arc.

View the arc experiment or view all the iterations here (One of the last things I added was a color wheel script I found on boostwoorthy’s site.).

Download source.

Tentacle experimentation

I started using papervision again after i found a posting from pv3d.org detailing how to create lines that don’t run into processing issues. thanks to becausejj for helping me out with multiplying transform matrixes.

View it here.