I’ve always made a distinction between client-work and personal-work. Sometimes we make choices which prevents us from using a particular technology or an effect in favor of accommodating for the largest viewing audience. I chose to do it in HTML5 instead of flash not because of any particular argument over which technology is better. I’ve worked in flash for years and there wouldn’t be anything relatively new to learn. 3D in HTML5 and was something new to me and one of the best ways to learn new things is to force-ably throw yourself into a project.
If Murphy’s Law came into effect, I can always revert to a flash solution. As it turned out, browser compatibility issues prevented it from looking correct and the HTML5 version was scrapped for an entirely flash based solution.
Once the project was completed, I didn’t want to loose all that effort I spent on the HTML5 iteration so I slowly reformatted the original code using the latest version of Three.js and dat.gui, a framework that easily allowed you to modify parameters contained within a panel.
On a logistical note, I’m hesitant about naming it as the cooper union mark because of the alterations I’ve made to the original design, like the reintroduction of perspective and the addition of cube geometry. So for now, I’d like to call it a variant. Below are a few more randomly generated variants.